Monday, August 3, 2009

Final Projects

Lab report wikis:


Podcasts:
I think that we are in a new era of education. I know every kid doesn't have the internet at home and not every kid has an ipod with video capabilities, but we are close. There is access to the internet all over the place, as I found out this summer as I camped and did school work online. I think the idea of putting extra lectures out there will help use time in class more wisely. The podcasts can be five to ten minute clips to help kids tie together what we have been learning in the classroom.

interacive syllabus:
My interactive syllabus will have an outline of what we are studying and when. There will be links to assignments to help with make-up work. I will have links to podcast, videos, news articles, simulations, and any other web based materials that can help my students. Check in as my classes begin to wind down, I will be expanding this interactive syllabus so it is "turn-key" once the school year starts.

Lab report Wiki:
have a new plan I have put together this summer for closure on various explorations throughout the year. I plan to have one wiki page set up where each cooperative learning group (lab group) has a login name and a password, which gives them access to the wiki page. A wiki page simply put is a web page that all members are able to create content, post comments, and make changes. Using our standard format for lab reports, that the students will be very familiar with at this point in the year, to post the lab reports on the lab wiki page. In the lab reports there should be at least one photo from the lab as well. The students will then be required to read three other reports from other groups, leaving suggestions for improvement, comments about what they liked, and other related appropriate comments. Most importantly there should be questions left by groups as they read other reports for further experimentation. The students should also give a score based on a rubric for their own and three other groups’ labs. I will also score each group based on the same rubric and the score they get will be based on a combination of self-assessment, classmates, and my grade.

3 comments:

  1. Your ideas are wonderful, especially the interactive syllabus. Things always change over the course of the semester and a syllabus that reflects those changes rather than the system of "I know the syllabus says this, but..." would help keep everyone on the same page. I'll definitely keep this idea in mind for future semesters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the idea of your wiki and have been working on a similar idea for my Biology class. Also, if you are interested, on Wikispaces you can request to have the Google Ads removed with a free complimentary upgrade. If you go to the upgrade page and scroll down to the bottom, there should be a place to request a educational upgrade. Thought I would pass that along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasper, I wrote a blog post about using podcasts in the Science classroom this week, in case you're interested. Would also love if you added any more ideas to the ones I have up there!

    http://mtoran.blogspot.com/2009/08/podcasts-in-science-classroom.html

    ReplyDelete